Thanks to the efforts of Joshua Rosenthal, the founder of The Institute for Integrative Nutrition, this week has officially been declared “National Health Coach Week.”
When I first started coaching many years ago and I told people what I did for a living, they replied, “You’re a coach? Where is your whistle?”
Now the term Health Coach, Wellness Coach, and increasingly “Integrative Nutrition Health Coach” is becoming part of the vernacular. People are getting it…. Finally!!
I am thankful every day for the path and life circumstances that led me to what I consider to be my “right work.” Coaching has become a channel for everything that I am passionate about; A way to bring the threads of everything I know, I have experienced and I love… together in service to the world.
Over the years, I have worked with and spoken to thousands of Health Coaches and what I have come to know is that we are a special breed of people who see the world in a different way. We are comfortable “on the fringe,” we are used to challenging the mainstream, and we are willing to take on the “big boys.”
We know this work is more than just about helping people lose weight, lower their cholesterol or eat more veggies. It is about the journey…. not always about the destination.
And along our own journey, it pays to take both a serious and a light-hearted look at what makes us ALL so brilliant in our own way!
You know you are an Amazing Health Coach if:
1) You find great Joy in helping someone reconnect with the Essence of who they are… to step fully into their power and love themselves and their lives in a whole new way.
2) You listen more than you speak. You have two ears and one mouth and you use them in that proportion. And you also know that the word LISTEN has the same letters as the word SILENT… and you are comfy holding that space.
3) You get that Soul-Centered Self-Care™ is now a part of your job description. “Walking Your Talk” is a springboard for your work, teaches you intimately about the process of lifestyle change, and adds to your authenticity as a coach.
4) You enjoy reinventing yourself and your practice over and again. You follow your heart and your passion to learn, teach and coach new clients around topics that excite you AND you know you will never spend another BORED day at work again!
5) You love talking about food and get excited about things like the new zucchini Spiralizer you got for your birthday. Whoo Hoo!
6) You see the letters GMO and you know enough to say OMG!!!! You stand up for humans, animals and the planet.
7) You can laugh at yourself and be totally OK with Progress vs. Perfection!
8) You get that food is only one form of nourishment in your life and you help your clients know the same.
9) You know that you can pretty much coach anyone, anywhere at any time… and they will walk away changed forever.
10) You know your job is not to “fix” anyone… but to help them rediscover their own greatness and resourcefulness!
11) You see that even if you work alone, you are part of something bigger than yourself. You are connected to a network of like-minded passionate professionals and one of the fastest-growing movements in the world.
12) You are always creating your health, happiness and your wealth (not only measured in $$$).
13) Your Facebook page has more recipes, motivational quotes and pictures of food than pics of family on it 😉
14) Your know that Health Coaching makes the world a smaller, more connected place.
15) You can handle an eye roll or two from your family when they see what you brought for the pot luck!
16) Your mission is to leave the world better, happier and healthier than when you got here.
17) You continue to do your own work alongside your clients… learning to love and accept yourself, be compassionate, patient and as kind with you as you would be with your clients.
18) You love to keep learning new things and can’t wait to share them with your clients.
19) You’d likely rather watch a documentary about Big Pharma or meditate with Deepak than see the latest movies.
20) You would get up at 4 in the morning to do this work if you had to.
21) You use the Law of Attraction to get good parking as well as get great clients… it’s all good.
22) You know that everything in life happens for you (for your learning and evolution) vs. to you (no victim-speak here!)
23) You see that making a difference in one life… touches countless others… One person impacts their friends, their family, their work place, their community… into infinity.
24) You are sure.. like you know your name… that as a Health Coach, you are in your right work and you strive every day to get out of your own way so you can deliver your special gifts to the world.
25) You love your life… even on the challenging days and you feel blessed to do this work. Being a Health Coach– it’s not about what you do… it is about who you are!
My Dear Coaches… Colleagues.. Friends…
I am blessed to share this journey with you… Here is to many years ahead of celebrating who we are, walking our talk, and changing the world…
Going Quantum with You!